Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Patriot Park - Pigeon Forge, TN

Over the summer, my family decided to break from our yearly tradition of heading to the Outer Banks. Instead, we headed west to vacation by the creek in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

I was excited to be able to explore the mountains and to bring my camera for some unusual photos. Plus, it gave me an opportunity to scout out local areas for photo shoots. After some pre-vacation internet searching, I decided that sometime within the week that I would go to Patriot Park.

Let me first explain to you my biggest issue with shooting this location -- any and all directions or addresses that I found online did not get me to Patriot Park. I ended up driving past Dollywood because of a map with the wrong road name; but, when I back tracked to head back to the vacation home, I happened to pass Patriot Park.

Patriot Park is located on Old Mill Avenue off of US-441 Scenic. If you're coming US-441 from Gatlinburg, TN, you will come to Stoplight #7 and take a right on Old Mill Avenue. Cross the bridge and you will enter the Old Mill Village. Keep going straight and you will see the Trolley Depot on your right. Right behind the depot is Patriot Park. Luckily for all visitors, parking at the Trolley Depot is free.

Unfortunately, the weather was gloomy the day I shot this venue. I didn't let that stop me from getting some great shots of a place where family can play sports in an open field or picnic for the day.

Patriot Park is in essence an open field with a track-like walking park surrounding it. The open green grass acts as a great backdrop for sitting photos.


The huge bell is suppose to symbolize liberty and patriotism. It sits on the left side of the park in a chain link fence. I assume this is because the bell is mostly a lighted prop and perfect for a night shoot with the proper lighting.

Be sure to take a walk around the track. You will find some nice shrubbery and flowers to use for photos, as well as, my favorite part of the park -- the gazebo. I had so many ideas for gathering friends, family, couples, etc. to this spot and taking really nice photos here. The white of the gazebo and the tree covered background would work perfectly for a more formal shot.



Finally, be sure to take advantage of all of the patriotic emblems the park has to offer. The track is lined with flags and would be perfect for wide angle shots. Also, look for the soldier and war memorial statues at the front of the park. I apologize for not having any photos of these great photo opts for the park. At this point in my shoot, it began to rain and the abrupt change in temperature shocked my camera lens. I thought for sure it was broken for good; but, luckily after it dried out and evened out in temperature, it works just fine.

These patriotic spots are perfect for military families, enthusiasts, or just proud Americans who want to snap some photos.

I hope that if anyone visits Patriot Park for a photo shoot or some snapshots that its simplicity and possibilities are appreciated as much as I appreciated them. Also, I hope that no one has to drive around lost looking for the park with my directions posted above.

Patriot Park
Old Mill Avenue
Pigeon Forge, TN


*Remember Patriot Park is behind the Trolly Depot beside of the Old Mill Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment